I was always a big John Candy fan growing up. He was in many movies and more often than not, the story lines were not great. But he was one funny individual and that gave me a reason to watch! One movie of his has always stuck out to me: “The great outdoors!” In this movie, there is one scene where a bear chases John Candy from the woods, breaks down the door and proceeds to bounce up and down on Candy (who is under the door). This scene is a classic one (comes up immediately if you google it). Right before the bear comes crashing through the door, Candy, leaning against the said door says “Big Bear…big bear…big bear chase me!”
Another location that has “bears” (perhaps though not as aggressive as the one above) that might chase, is New Hampshire which is hosting next months Reach the Beach Relay – a 200 mile race from Bretton Woods to Hampton Beach… a race that I will be taking part in as a member of Team Guzman Guys! (Last summer while training on Attitash Mountain, I ran into a family of bears that did not chase me btw) This will be our teams third year running this race and 2016 will feature some new faces as we have lost some along the way. As my injuries have mounted over the past few months, so have others on this team! When we finally run the 200 miles, it will be a fun 24 hours!
As we get closer to the race, I will be going into more detail on the race but for now, let’s just say I will be running the race next month and more exciting updates will be coming!
Now let’s go to this week’s 5 for Friday!
- NUMBER ONE: Rhythm Nation. The past week I have focused on getting back into “running Rhythm.” This has involved working through some rust after being idle for the most part over the past 2 weeks but at the same time, this also includes eating better and stretching more. Success happens most to me when these facets are all working simultaneously and imthe last few days I have started getting back on that path to a rhythm nation!
- NUMBER TWO: All about the Foam! I am dedicating this week and the foreseeable future to a steady routine of foam rolling. I started earlier this week and finding myself more loose overall as a result. Yes, I am feeling some muscles that probably have not been used in a while but that’s ok. This should help with “injury prevention” and make me stronger for the future! (At least I hope so)
- NUMBER THREE: Testing Time! So my testing of some New Balance shoes is coming to an end – I just do not like flat shoes and this style of shoe is definitely that. Since stopping the use of these NB flats and going back to my Hoka Claytons, the pains are once again disappearing from my knees (like they did when I went from Asics to Hoka’s last fall). While the NB shoes were light weight and good for walking around in, they just did not limit the pounding to my legs.
- NUMBER FOUR: Getting Physical with Training. So on Monday I am starting PT on my body to see what part is causing all these knick knack injuries I have been going through over the past few months. Part of me thinks that the arthritis is winning the battle at the moment but we will see what the PT has to say about this! Hoping he/she has a solution because getting into rhythm alone might not be enough for me to escape the injury big!
- NUMBER FIVE: Bars and Energy! The past few weeks, my focus for Bibrave has been the XX2i’s which as I reviewed yesterday, are fine glasses. My next focus is UCAN snack bars. I never have had one of these before so it should be a good experience. I am a regular user of Cliff and Kind bars and tried a few others recently so I am excited to try a new one!
Well, that is it for this week’s 5 for Friday. Thank you as always for reading and here are this week’s pics! – BM